The Citizens Forum for Mangalore Development on Monday urged the State government to file an appeal against a city court judgment acquitting 26 of 30 accused in the infamous pub attack case registered in the city in 2009.
In a release, its co-ordinator Vidya Dinker said that the outcome was unexpected and “we had been hoping for the strictest punishment for the guilty as per law.”
The forum said that the State government should pursue the matter seriously.
It criticised the Sri Rama Sene for celebrating the ‘victory’ by distributing sweets and bursting crackers.
The government should make use of the video and photographic evidence while filing the appeal. It should correct loopholes, if any, in the investigation in the case. The government should ensure that the guilty are punished.
Meanwhile, at a press conference here on Monday Sri Rama Sene Chief Pramod Muthalik regretted the attack. “Assaulting people is not our culture. I regret the attack,” he said but added that the Sri Rama Sene is opposed to the pub and bar culture.